List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Where does apps rc filename get set?
From:       Alan Chandler <alan () chandlerfamily ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-24 9:22:32

On Sunday 24 Feb 2002 9:03 am, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> On Sunday 24 February 2002 09:55, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a clone of kmail with a different name so I can do
> > some work with it and still keep a working copy around
>
> The easiest way how to do that is: Have your original KMail installed
> as usual and make a copy of your complete original kdenetwork directory
> eg. you might want to call it kdenetwork_experimental

Yes I have done that

> Now you can modify the copied sources in kdenetwork_experimental/kmail
> and test them by just calling 'make' but NOT calling 'make install'.

There seems to be a bit of strange behaviour here - I tried this but the kmail
left behind said it was a shell script protecting against some internal
library dependencies so I need to investigate further - nevertheless ...

> Just start your modified version by direct call:
>
>     [some path]/kdenetwork_experimental/kmail/kmail &

The problem with that approach is that it also uses the same
.kde/share/config/kmailrc file as my normal working copy. I suspect (more than
that - its a certainty:-( ) that as part of what I want to do I will break
it, leaving me unable to communicate with the outside world and get help.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk