List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Where does apps rc filename get set?
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-02-24 10:18:39

On Sunday 24 February 2002 09:22, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Sunday 24 Feb 2002 9:03 am, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 February 2002 09:55, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > > I'm trying to make a clone of kmail with a different name so I can do
> > > some work with it and still keep a working copy around
> >
> > The easiest way how to do that is: Have your original KMail installed
> > as usual and make a copy of your complete original kdenetwork directory
> > eg. you might want to call it kdenetwork_experimental
>
> Yes I have done that
>
> > Now you can modify the copied sources in kdenetwork_experimental/kmail
> > and test them by just calling 'make' but NOT calling 'make install'.
>
> There seems to be a bit of strange behaviour here - I tried this but the
> kmail left behind said it was a shell script protecting against some
> internal library dependencies so I need to investigate further -
> nevertheless ...
Yep, that's correct. The 'kmail' you see is a script which allows you to call
the real kmail executable which is in the hidden .libs directory. The script
enables you to set up all the correct paths and what not so you don't have to
'make install' as Karl-Heinz mentioned already.

> > Just start your modified version by direct call:
> >
> >     [some path]/kdenetwork_experimental/kmail/kmail &
>
> The problem with that approach is that it also uses the same
> .kde/share/config/kmailrc file as my normal working copy. I suspect (more
> than that - its a certainty:-( ) that as part of what I want to do I will
> break it, leaving me unable to communicate with the outside world and get
> help.
Do all your testing under a different userid and you won't get that problem
:-) I usually set up a new userid and do a complete KDE install to a local
directory so I don't have to mess about or worry about anything. You don't
have to change anything this way and you won't mess up your existing
installation.

Cheers,
Sean
--