List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cause of XRender/LD_BIND_NOW interaction found.
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2002-02-23 17:14:18

On Saturday 23 February 2002 17:43, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

> Solution #1 is undisputably wrong. Note that not all users on XF<4.2
> experience this problem, and you will provoke hundreds of bug reports if
> you disable AA because of the detected XFree Version.

Then issue a warning.

> If trolltech cannot be convinced to patch Qt, #3 is the only option.

If they could be convinced and I was a customer of theirs learning about it,
I'd certainly complain.

> Start thinking from a users point of view.

I am, you're not. What you suggest is akin to ask Mercedes to alter the
engine of a car sold worldwide because for some reason it may stall while
driving on mile #523 of Road 66 in North Dakota, and it might make the
inhabitants there report a problem.

Qt is neither XFree-specific nor KDE-specific.

> There are times where the
> cleanest solution is not the best. Often, upgrading X is simply no option.

Of course it isn't, but doing without AA is.

> I for myself would rather patch Qt than downloading >30 MB of X packages,
> or spending >75 Euro plus several hours to upgrade all my workstations to
> the current version of XY-Linux.

And TT certainly doesn't want to include Linux-specifc (even x86-specific I
presume) stack-modifying code in the core of their main product which
therefore can have totally unknown consequences in other environments, such
environments being those of their paying customers. What's more, the only
reason to do this would be to work around a totally mundane bug.

No company in their right mind would do that, it's totally insane.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org