List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cause of XRender/LD_BIND_NOW interaction found.
From:       Matthias Welwarsky <matze () stud ! fbi ! fh-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2002-02-23 16:43:48

Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> On Saturday 23 February 2002 11:35, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> >
> > I personally vote for solution #2, because it actually makes the bug go
> > away and will save developers a lot of breath explaining to users why AA
> > worked for them on KDE2 and now stopped working on KDE3. YMMV.
>
> Come on. You're suggesting to alter a core file of a product used by
> thousands of customers worldwide just to work around a very platform-specific
> bug which isn't even remotely critical. Of course the trolls will refuse, and
> they'll be absolutely right.
>
> Solution #1 is the only reasonable option IMHO.

Solution #1 is undisputably wrong. Note that not all users on XF<4.2 experience
this problem, and you will provoke hundreds of bug reports if you disable AA
because of the detected XFree Version. If trolltech cannot be convinced to patch
Qt, #3 is the only option. Plus, you can hint users to remove LD_BIND_NOW from
startkde as a workaround if their preferred distribution does not ship with
XF-4.2.

Start thinking from a users point of view. There are times where the cleanest
solution is not the best. Often, upgrading X is simply no option. I for myself
would rather patch Qt than downloading >30 MB of X packages, or spending >75 Euro
plus several hours to upgrade all my workstations to the current version of
XY-Linux.

regards,
    Matze

--