Guillaume Laurent wrote: > On Saturday 23 February 2002 11:35, Matthias Welwarsky wrote: > > > > I personally vote for solution #2, because it actually makes the bug go > > away and will save developers a lot of breath explaining to users why AA > > worked for them on KDE2 and now stopped working on KDE3. YMMV. > > Come on. You're suggesting to alter a core file of a product used by > thousands of customers worldwide just to work around a very platform-specific > bug which isn't even remotely critical. Of course the trolls will refuse, and > they'll be absolutely right. > > Solution #1 is the only reasonable option IMHO. Solution #1 is undisputably wrong. Note that not all users on XF<4.2 experience this problem, and you will provoke hundreds of bug reports if you disable AA because of the detected XFree Version. If trolltech cannot be convinced to patch Qt, #3 is the only option. Plus, you can hint users to remove LD_BIND_NOW from startkde as a workaround if their preferred distribution does not ship with XF-4.2. Start thinking from a users point of view. There are times where the cleanest solution is not the best. Often, upgrading X is simply no option. I for myself would rather patch Qt than downloading >30 MB of X packages, or spending >75 Euro plus several hours to upgrade all my workstations to the current version of XY-Linux. regards, Matze -- Matthias Welwarsky Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt Email: matze@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de "I bet the human brain is a kludge." -- Marvin Minsky >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<