List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Sick of the mouse mess!
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-16 20:15:39

On Saturday, 16 February 2002, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> The inconsistencies are not only with Qt apps. I see standard X clipboard
> behavior in Kate and between Konsole and others but not eg inside KEdit or
> the KMail editor. In the latter, I get stuff on middle clicks that may have
> been selected an hour ago in Konsole. I must say that I also find this
> totally inconsistent, confusing and unnerving. We shouldn't mix Windows
> behavior in some apps (KEdit) and X behavior in others (Konsole, Kate).
>
> I'd presume most people prefer having two separate clipboards: one with the
> Windows shortcuts and another one with the standard X behavior which
> shouldn't interfere with each other. And this should be consistent in all
> KDE apps.

I agree. Above all else, we can't have a situation where KDE is incompatible
with other X applications - KDE must not go down the MS route of ignoring
everybody else and thinking that it is omnipotent. There are plenty of useful
non-KDE applications, some of which are probably used by most KDE users. So
the normal UNIX cut-and-paste has to always work as previously. (It's fine if
there is an option to change this behaviour, but the UNIX way should be the
default on a *nix system.) The MS-style cut-and-paste is a useful addition,
and can save effort in some circumstances. But for the UNIX-style facility to
work as expected, the clipboards need to be separate.

--
David Jarvie