List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Sick of the mouse mess!
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-02-16 19:33:42

On Saturday 16 February 2002 01:32 pm, Kuba Ober wrote:
> On Saturday 16 February 2002 08:24 am, Richard Stevens wrote:
> > > If there were a choice for the behavoir one could specify, that would
> > > be great.
> > >
> > > What is WORSE, is having a MIXTURE of both.
> >
> > Well, I guess it's personal taste. I totally agree with both of your
> > statements above though!

Actually, what I try to propose seems to be reasonably in line with

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html

To summarize: every time you provide an option, you're expect user to make a
*decision*. If we intuitively know that certain way of doing things can be
more productive, just let it be without any darned options, or provide an
unobtusive option, which is reasonably self-explaining ("disable drop-down
list on paste" is down-to-the-point, right?) and which is likely to make the
decision easy.

Choosing between "unix-style pasting" and "windows-style-pasting" without the
user first knowing difference between the two (which the user *won't*) is
useless. The user won't be able to make such decision.

Let's provide him with a compromise which doesn't hamper window's users,
makes them see the extension we have provided (on subsequent pastes -
^V/mmb's they see the list even if they used ^C initally), and makes the unix
users more productive too, since by the virtue of klipper list + drop down
choice they can easily (w/o needing to move the mouse to the klipper icon)
choose what they want to paste. And it works equally well with keyboard and
mouse users.

Do you agree? Down-to-the-point arguments are welcome, of course.

Cheers, Kuba