List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTTI / dynamic casts in KDE?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-28 20:32:10

On Monday 28 January 2002 11:07 am, Manuel Arriaga wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have noticed that, at least on my Linux machine, every part of KDE seems
> to be built with the "-fno-rtti" option passed to the compiler.
> kapptemplate, which I use to generate the automake/autoconf framework for
> the code I write, also uses that option for all programs.
>
> I would like to know why this option is always used. Is it a g++/libg++
> problem? Or KDE "policy"? :-)

It's KDE policy. Qt/Embedded usually gets compiled without rtti. Since we want
to be able to use parts of KDE with Qt/Embedded as well, that means we can't
use rtti in those parts. rtti is also not reliable in combination with
dynamically loaded code. Therefor the use of rtti is discouraged.

I am not aware that we actually pass -fno-rtti to the compiler at the moment
though, we did at one time but later it got removed.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com