List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTTI / dynamic casts in KDE?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-28 20:43:25

On Monday 28 January 2002 21:32, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2002 11:07 am, Manuel Arriaga wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have noticed that, at least on my Linux machine, every part of KDE seems
> > to be built with the "-fno-rtti" option passed to the compiler.
> > kapptemplate, which I use to generate the automake/autoconf framework for
> > the code I write, also uses that option for all programs.
> >
> > I would like to know why this option is always used. Is it a g++/libg++
> > problem? Or KDE "policy"? :-)
>
> It's KDE policy. Qt/Embedded usually gets compiled without rtti. Since we
want
> to be able to use parts of KDE with Qt/Embedded as well, that means we can't
> use rtti in those parts. rtti is also not reliable in combination with
> dynamically loaded code. Therefor the use of rtti is discouraged.

I think this is wrong. We use RTTI in KDE itself, there's no reason we would
prevent others from doing so too !

I think you're using a slightly old kapptemplate (e.g. KDE-2.0 or 2.1), which
comes from a time were we disabled rtti to hope it was doing great savings.
It's not, and there's no reason to disable it.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops