List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RTTI / dynamic casts in KDE?
From:       Manuel Arriaga <m.arriaga () ip ! pt>
Date:       2002-01-28 19:07:33

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that, at least on my Linux machine, every part of KDE seems to
be built with the "-fno-rtti" option passed to the compiler. kapptemplate,
which I use to generate the automake/autoconf framework for the code I write,
also uses that option for all programs.

I would like to know why this option is always used. Is it a g++/libg++
problem? Or KDE "policy"? :-)

A KDE library I am writing needs to use dynamic casts as "real" dynamic
casts, not converted to static casts (which, I think, is the result of
passing "-fno-rtti" to g++). Should I expect any problems if I compile my
code without that option?

Thank you for any tip.

Best regards,

Manuel