List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde] resize thumbnails in konqueror file manager
From:       Derek Fountain <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-01-24 9:08:34

I've copied the developer list on this to ensure those guys know that a
problem is starting to appear. They might already know about it and have it
licked, but better to ensure they do... :)

> > > The thumbnails in the file manager are nice but a bit too
> > > small on my screen resolution.  Cant find a way to resize.
> > >
> > > Is there some way to do this?
> >
> > View->Icon Size->Large
>
> I have done that, but i am specifically thinking getting the
> previews larger (if icons come along that is fine).
>
> The largest setting is still too small on my 1600 x 1200
> resolution.
>
> Is there a way of going behind the scenes and changine the
> settings for large medium and small in konqueror?

Not that I know of. Maybe someone else will know of a trick you can use. I
was looking at PixiePlus the other day and that seems to generate big
thumbnails - maybe that can help you?

Some people at the IBM Lab where I work are using these:

 http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?cntrfnbr=1&prmen
br=1&prnbr=9503DG1&cntry=840&lang=en_US

22" flat panel screens, displaying around 200dpi. Resolutions of around the
4000x2400 mark! At 19,000USD a pop they're not cheap, but customers are
buying them for classic UNIX workstation roles - medical imaging, geological
survey work, CAD, etc. They were demonstrated at our on site Linux Interest
Group meeting a few months ago. IBM are getting specific requests for Linux
applications - this is an area where Windows still doesn't get much of a look
in.

So far I've only seen one running GNOME, and the desktop was struggling. I
suspect, although I don't know, that KDE would probably struggle too.
Anything which isn't scalable to the screen size just disappears on these
things - at 200dpi a 64x64 icon is too small to be useful, and you can
completely forget about window resize handles. You quite literally need a
magnifying glass to see them.

Hopefully the KDE guys will take increasing screen resolutions into account
over the coming months.

--
  8:37am  up 43 days, 16:44,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.04, 0.00