List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Trash bin location
From:       Tim Lee <tlee () tc ! fluke ! com>
Date:       2002-01-21 19:43:20

On Monday 21 January 2002 10:38 am, Claes Holmerson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I was just reading an interesting article on usability and came to wonder
> why the trash bin resides on the desktop. Historical reasons of course.
> It has been there since the dawn of Mac, perhaps even longer. But now we
> have Kicker, and Kicker is always visible. It would be much easier if the
> trash bin lived on Kicker, because then it would not be neccessary to move
> windows around in order to see both the trash bin and the file to throw
> away. (That is the biggest problem with drag and drop in my opinion). The
> same thinking can be applied to printers etc.

I've had an idea for this very problem and started something
but have not had time to finish it.  Desktop icons are normally
useless to me just because of the above issues.  However,
they are better than kicker items because you can move
them where you want and they contain the full name and
functionality (drag&drop). What would be
nice would be to have them look exactly as they currently do but
just allow them to be in and drawer or other container that could
open
as you enter it (or clicking on it, so you can move things around),
and have that window display
the icons over everything else.  They could even still be shown on
the desktop, this would just make them accessable over whatever
may be covering them.  This way you could drag something to
say the right hand side of the window and then the desktop icons
would auto pop on top and allow you to drop on one.  I think this
is easier said than done though and may have other usibility issues.