List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE speed issues
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2002-01-21 19:35:58

On Monday 21 January 2002 18:03, dep wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2002 06:23, ralsina@kde.org wrote:
> | Actually, you are just embellishing memory.
> | KDE 1.x didn't work on 5 year old computers, either.
>
> sure it did. i did it. there were a lot of people putting it on
> things like p-133s with 64 or, gulp, 32 megs. no, not as fast as
> state-of-the-art equipment, but there's *supposed* to be a difference
> in state-of-the-art stuff.
>
> | And maintaining KDE 1.x would be a LOT of work. Probably more work
> | than maintaining KDE 2.2 would be.
>
> then perhaps what we need is to cook up a recipe for stripping down
> kde-2.2 such that minimal stuff can be loaded -- i know this is
> possible, but i don't know of any one document that gives a sense of
> the price in resources for particular features. i'd obviously much
> prefer it to be 2.2, because then we'd have koffice, which is an
> utter speed demon compared to, say, staroffice. (i've actually done
> useful work on a p-166 w/64 megs using kde-2.2.2 and kword. load
> times are fairly slow, though they got faster when i killed artsd and
> some other things, but acceptable. unlike so5.2, which took nearly
> three minutes to load.)
>
> | Why? KDE 1.x is broken in many more ways, and those ways would have
> | to be fixed.
> |
> | Example:
> | If keeping khtml compatible to current sites is a lot of hard work,
> | how would you describe maintaining khtmlw?
>
> good point. still, there has to be in the existing code base a kde
> alternative to xfce.

Dennis, we disagree on a lot of issues, historical, political and
philosophical ones. We agree, I think we agree on at least one:
practicability. KAKDE (kde 1.x) is out of the question. Can we agree on that?
KDE 3 is better ( in performance as well) as KDE 2.x. Can we agree on that as
well?

There isn't a thing like a free breakfast. Well sometimes, there is. In that
case it's a *gift*, not a right. We still agree I think. Right now, we all
have boxes on our desktop (even we in the so-called third world) that equal
medium sized computer centers 10 years ago. We cannot reasonably demand
modern software to run on ancient hardware. No UI (neither TUI nor GUI) will
run on my old ZX-81.

When it somes to modern desktops, it's fine with me if it runs on moderate
hardare like anything euivalent to PII-400.

We can't make it run sufficiently on a P-133 with 16 MB ram. It can't be done.

Uwe