List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Manual Autocompletion
From:       Luis Pedro Coelho <luis_pedro () netcabo ! pt>
Date:       2002-01-18 0:40:23

Em Quinta, 17 de Janeiro de 2002 23:19, dep escreveu:
> then you don't get around that much. autocompletion in konqueror has
> yet to work the first time for me in taking me to where i want to go;
> likewise, autocompletion in kmail. hitting a key to get the list
> will, over the broader variety of users, save far more keystrokes
> than it costs. as it is, it's a microsoftish "my way or the highway."

As a konqueror user, I have to say the opposite: Konqueror is almost psychic
in its autocompletion.
Also, I think that the way konqueror's location autocompletion works is the
best: configurable. You can even turn it off.

I think the only discussion should on what the default should be. I for one
(and my voice is only an users's voice) would vote for a drop-down list (I
think konq calls it "selection", but I'm not sure since I'm not using
English). I think that drop-down is good, because it also works like this in
IE's text entry fields.

Maybe a little Kandalf tip saying that this is configurable would be nice:

"You can configure auto-completion, the feature that sugests text endings on
text entry boxes, by using your right-mouse button on those boxes. Try this
on Konqueror's location bar, for example."

Just my 0.02¤
--
Luis Pedro Coelho.

Check out my game of Hearts, a card game, for KDE at:
http://hearts.sourceforge.net/