List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Manual Autocompletion
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-01-17 4:37:13

hi..

> i do not remember the location box in konqueror or the to: field in
> kmail being dialog boxes. in fact, unless something has gone terribly
> wrong in kde-3, they aren't. but you are right: if kmail and
> konqueror have turned into huge dialog boxes instead of applications,

i routinely use tab to navigate from To to Cc to Bcc etc in kmail's composer
window. this is a common task in pretty much any non-dialog application
window that are data entry oriented. switching widget focus using the
keyboard is not a just dialog thing. in fact, the web browser may be one of
the few places that this doesn't hold up.

> then it *isn't* acceptable. (the little applications dialog oughtn't
> have entry completion at all -- that's just one of those "because we
> could" features.)

not sure if i understand this: are you saying that dialogs shouldn't have
autocompletion? if so, i disagree 100% with this. having autocompletion in as
many places as possible makes the UI consistent (a user doesn't see "Dialog,
Dialog, Mainwindow, Composer Window, Dialog...", they see "text input, text
input, push button, text input...") and it is extremeley useful to boot.

imagine the file dialog w/out autocompletion for a moment. extrapolate to
other examples =)

personally, i don't use the popup completion mode, since it gets in my way
for the way i work. instead i use automatic completion. Ctrl-D/E to control
completions is also very useful.

--
Aaron Seigo