List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE suspend mode(desktop)?
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-01-15 23:32:22

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 23:20, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > Note to KDE-dev: could we hack kdm to start KDE on a new X session,
> > keeping kdm running
>
> we could not, we did. more precisely, i did.
> add
>
> :1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8

Does that also start a third Xsession in case a second user wants to log in?
(one for kdm, one for user1 and one for user2)

This should be transparent and scale to multiple users.

> i leave it to the kicker, etc. coders to hack up some buttons to
> explicitly activate spare login screens. switching between sessions is
> quite useless if you ask me, as we have the usual alt-ctrl-f<n> keys.

For power users those suffice, but for real desktop acceptance it's not
sufficient. KDM should list all active sessions (and whether they are locked)
and have a means of switching sessions; there should also be an option to go
back to that KDM screen from any session.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."