List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE suspend mode(desktop)?
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-15 22:20:29

> This is currently not possible from within KDE,

who says that?

> Note to KDE-dev: could we hack kdm to start KDE on a new X session,
> keeping kdm running

we could not, we did. more precisely, i did.
add
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8
to $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers (unless the kdmrc points to a
different location, but in that case it makes sense to create a modified
copy and adjust kdmrc), give kdm a "hup", lock the screen and see the new
login appearing.
the bad news is, that you need HEAD for it; i don't know if it made it
into 3.0beta1.

> and adding some GUI tweaks to switch between those X sessions?

i leave it to the kicker, etc. coders to hack up some buttons to
explicitly activate spare login screens. switching between sessions is
quite useless if you ask me, as we have the usual alt-ctrl-f<n> keys.

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.