List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KGlobal::config()
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-09 12:31:52

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 13:05, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a short question: Does KGlobal::config() give access to the
> _application_ config file or to kdeglobals ?

To both, merged into the same KConfig object ;-)

> Just for my clarification: Which files do the following lines read ?
>
>  KSimpleConfig *c = new KSimpleConfig(QString::fromLatin1("kdeglobals"),
false);

kdeglobals.

>  KConfig *cfg = KGlobal::config();

The merging of kdeglobals, kderc, and kappnamerc, at all levels of the KDEDIRS
hierarchy. Don't assume that KConfig is about a single file - that's what
KSimpleConfig is for.

>  KConfig *cfg = KApp->sessionConfig();

Some file with a random name, containing the session-management data.

> Can somebody point out which is intended for which reason and which is the
> recommended way for to read from/write in
>  myapplicationrc
> and
>  kdeglobals

Use KGlobal::config() for all of this, use the bool in writeEntry to specify
when a value should be written into kdeglobals.

http://www.kde.org/people/david.html (my real webpage is down)
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops