List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Playing the KDE CVS roulette
From:       ramagnus () t-online ! de (Rolf Magnus)
Date:       2001-12-26 14:26:35

On Wednesday 26 December 2001 14:50, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> I often have to make clean and recompile from scratch.  It sometimes takes
> days to get back to a working KDE3 after starting to update.  I suspect
> many developers are NOT running the current version, they are running a
> snapshot with just their changes.

On which day do you do this usually? Friday is BIC day, so there are lots of
commits that break binary compatibility on that day - and BIC Friday usually
is longer that 24 hours - think of time zones. Afterwards, there are often
some other changes to make thinks that broke work again. So it probably is
very hard to get a working version from code checked out before at least
Monday.

> Is there a better way?  Could there be a quiet period each 24 hours where
> developers are expected to check in only compile fixes?

I don't think that's possible. There are just too many developers all around
the world - with different time slots for their commits.

>  An extension to
> CVS to make multi-file checkins atomic?  Another solution?   Your ideas?

multi-file checkins are atomic in cvs, but unfortunately only if the files are
all in the same directory. And then, people also sometimes tend to forget
some of the files and so do more than one commit.