List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Playing the KDE CVS roulette
From:       Bryce Nesbitt <bryce () obviously ! com>
Date:       2001-12-26 14:29:10

David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 December 2001 14:50, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > Developers;
> >
> > Almost every time I update cvs, dozens of files have changed.  Often if I update
> > twice in a row, files will have changed.
> >
> >       -> This is good.  Many people are developing KDE. <-
> >
> > But this is a nightmare when trying to get a stable version to compile.  It seems that no matter
> > when I update I catch some project in a halfway working state.  My usual process is
> > something like this:
> >
> >       cvs update -A -d -P
> >       gmake
> >       cd to broken directory
> >       cvs update -A -d -P     (every few hours until something changes)
> >       gmake
> >       repeat
> >
> > I often have to make clean and recompile from scratch.  It sometimes takes days to
> > get back to a working KDE3 after starting to update.  I suspect many developers are
> > NOT running the current version, they are running a snapshot with just their changes.
>
> Wrong. E.g. I update and recompile twice a day - that is, when I'm not on holidays like right now ;)
>
> > Is there a better way?  Could there be a quiet period each 24 hours where developers are
> > expected to check in only compile fixes?  An extension to CVS to make multi-file checkins
> > atomic?  Another solution?   Your ideas?
>
> You're hitting a particularly bad time, with khtml being broken for 2 days,
> nobody being around to fix it due to Christmas. Since you're cc-ing kfm-devel,
> I suppose it's particularly about the khtml breakage. Well, it's fixed now,
> and all of kdelibs+kdebase+koffice compile, currently testing the rest.
>
> I think you're realizing how much of a constant service you get the rest of
> the year: many core developers compile the cvs very often, and fix whatever
> problem they encounter. What you're seeing right now is a decrease in that
> "service" due to the holidays ;)

I actually wrote that email several months ago, I just never sent it.
I had not noticed khtml was broken.

This has been a constant problem since I first started compiling KDE.
I like to update from CVS every two weeks or so.  It often takes several
days before I get a complete and stable set.

I don't think I'm the only one.  I often see messages on the list about broken compiles.
I'm not surprised it does not work, actually.  No matter what time you CVS update
you're going to catch SOMEONE in the middle of a checkin.  This may or may not
produce a compile error.  We're all always testing something that's not quite fully
checked in.

The harder the developers work (and they do work hard) to make fixes and checkins,
the worse the problem gets.  My question is is there a procedural or technical
solution to avoiding catching checkins in the middle?  It's not a matter of dilligence
on the part of the developers, it's a technical matter.

			-Bryce