List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Playing the KDE CVS roulette
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-12-26 14:20:13

On Wednesday 26 December 2001 14:50, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Developers;
>
> Almost every time I update cvs, dozens of files have changed.  Often if I update
> twice in a row, files will have changed.
>
> 	-> This is good.  Many people are developing KDE. <-
>
> But this is a nightmare when trying to get a stable version to compile.  It seems that no matter
> when I update I catch some project in a halfway working state.  My usual process is
> something like this:
>
> 	cvs update -A -d -P
> 	gmake
> 	cd to broken directory
> 	cvs update -A -d -P	(every few hours until something changes)
> 	gmake
> 	repeat
>
> I often have to make clean and recompile from scratch.  It sometimes takes days to
> get back to a working KDE3 after starting to update.  I suspect many developers are
> NOT running the current version, they are running a snapshot with just their changes.

Wrong. E.g. I update and recompile twice a day - that is, when I'm not on holidays like right now ;)

> Is there a better way?  Could there be a quiet period each 24 hours where developers are
> expected to check in only compile fixes?  An extension to CVS to make multi-file checkins
> atomic?  Another solution?   Your ideas?

You're hitting a particularly bad time, with khtml being broken for 2 days,
nobody being around to fix it due to Christmas. Since you're cc-ing kfm-devel,
I suppose it's particularly about the khtml breakage. Well, it's fixed now,
and all of kdelibs+kdebase+koffice compile, currently testing the rest.

I think you're realizing how much of a constant service you get the rest of
the year: many core developers compile the cvs very often, and fix whatever
problem they encounter. What you're seeing right now is a decrease in that
"service" due to the holidays ;)

http://www.kde.org/people/david.html (my real webpage is down)
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops