List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qtopia Developer contest
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-06 20:50:11

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 9:42 am, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 December 2001 21:39, Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 December 2001 7:47 pm, Richard Dale wrote:
> > > If we deal in source code round here, why do the entries have to be in
> > > x86 rpm format (I'm a PowerPC iMac/SuSE Linux user)? I'd like to be
> > > able to submit the KDE Qt Java bindings as an entry under the
> > > 'Developer Tools' category.
> >
> > Correction, there is no 'Developer tools' category anyway, so projects
> > like Ralf's cross-compiler for KDevelop or myself with Qt Java bindings
> > are not entrants in this competition..
>
> Dunno, but for sure I could have some decent use for the big chunk of bucks
> given away and my TV is actually my parent's one that's 15 years old now.
> Hmpf :)
>
> Hey, wait a minute....wasn't this thing called KDE something we do for
> *fun*? I don't have any lapdancers on my (quite cheap) motel room here in
> San Jose, but for sure programming until 5:30 am for the presentation
> yesterday morning was fun.
Yes, you're right coding is fun, and unpaid coding after midnight is always
best, even in the absense of 'exotic technical assistants' :)..

Sorry for sounding a bit grumpy, but people have emailed me in the past
asking about whether the qt java bindings run on Qt embedded, but I haven't
been able to port the code, and try it out. You don't need cross-compilation
if you can compile to Qt java byte codes and run everywhere (working WORA).
It might take up twice as much memory as native C++, but that might been ok
tradeoff for custom applications.

-- Richard