List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qtopia Developer contest
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-06 22:56:12

> But so I never understood why somebody wants to sell 10 USD closed source
> shareware apps.

Because when you don't earn much money to start with, it's nice to get
$10 to buy some beer with occasionally.

> Apparently those shareware authors do not make any money
> with it anyway (at least they claim that they cannot even effort a
> commercial Qt license with this model)

They probably claim that because it is true. Not everyone has a well
paying job with a permanent contract.

> and it annoys potential users that you need to figure out ways how
> to easily get 10 USD to some person in some other country in order
> to get rid of some annoying message boxes.

Message boxes are annoying, but they're less annoying than having to pay
hundreds of dollars for something you find isn't very good and won't
actually use.

If I used Windows then I would be glad to pay something reasonable for
use of 'Cooledit', the sound file editor, but I probably wouldn't pay
for the full version of the 'Eudora' mail client.

As for it being annoying to have to figure out how to send cash, well
you don't have to use the app, and I don't see why it's unreasonable
to ask for such a thing.

Rik - who places all software under the MIT license and has never
considered charging for anything.