List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qtopia Developer contest
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-12-06 19:14:04

On Thursday 06 December 2001 15:26, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> I am seriously thinking about this contest, but it seems to me that I will
> have to do *closed-sourced* application if I go for this contest.

No, you have not. The contest is designed in a way that it's up to the
contributor what license model to pick.

If I could participate (I must not as I'm a Trolltech employee), I would most
certainly do it with a free application.

But so I never understood why somebody wants to sell 10 USD closed source
shareware apps. Apparently those shareware authors do not make any money with
it anyway (at least they claim that they cannot even effort a commercial Qt
license with this model) and it annoys potential users that you need to
figure out ways how to easily get 10 USD to some person in some other country
in order to get rid of some annoying message boxes.

Making your app free will not only get you ten times as many users, it also
gets you happier and more reponsive users and - if it's a good app -
contributors.  And finally you'll cash out when you mention the app in your
next job interview :-)

Matthias