List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP, NetWM
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () adridg ! sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-31 20:17:40

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 07:21 pm, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> I'm doing final preparations for the usenix/ALS conference and would like
> to check a couple conclusions:
>
> DCOP is usually been labled as an IPC mechanism, which is technically
> correct but misleading in practice.  It serves the following
> functions:
> 1) scripting;
> 2) informing a few programs to reload their config files;
> 3) a few programs (a total of about three?) communicate with the panel.
>
> Am I right in saying that 99% of the time its use is for console scripting
> rather than IPC, as far as users and non-core developers are concerned?

Well, a lot of KPilot's sync mechanism runs over DCOP. Not all of it is
necessary, as we move to more advanced APIs for some of the data structures
(like the address book, but that's a different matter).

The KNotes DCOP interface is specially designed to sync nicely with KPilot.
All the sync happens that way.

Mail is sent from the Pilot by KPilot using KMail's DCOP interface.