List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    DCOP, NetWM
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-10-31 17:17:19

I'm doing final preparations for the usenix/ALS conference and would like to
check a couple conclusions:

DCOP is usually been labled as an IPC mechanism, which is technically
correct but misleading in practice.  It serves the following
functions:
1) scripting;
2) informing a few programs to reload their config files;
3) a few programs (a total of about three?) communicate with the panel.

Am I right in saying that 99% of the time its use is for console scripting
rather than IPC, as far as users and non-core developers are concerned?

XML-RPC and SOAP bridges: In their current form, do they have a practical
application yet?  Although I can imagine how they can be practically used for
communication (rather than control) if there were a usable authentication
mechanism working, I'm not aware of any work being done on it.

NetWM: I would like to visually demonstrate something of the interoperability
achieved with NetWM.  Since I haven't been using many GTK apps over the last
couple years, I can't make comparrisons based on past experience.  What's a
good way to demonstate what's been accomplished?  Which programs might be
good to take screen-shots of under both environments?  Any old screenshots
laying around of problems that have been taken care of?

Many thanks,
Ellis