List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Print Manager module made root-only
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       2001-10-31 12:12:03

On Wednesday, 31. October 2001 12:39, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> No problem. Actually, it does not *break* anything. The problem is that it
> might confuse the user about what he can and cannot do. The possibility to
> become root on the fly (administrator mode) also might be useful when
> working with LPR for example. However the message "You must be root to
> change something" is not very appropriate. I would prefer something like
> "You might need to be root to perform some management operations. Use the
> 'Administrator' button to do that".

Ah, now I see the problem. I tested it in 2.2.1, and applied the patch to
HEAD. I forgot about the new appearance of root-only modules in HEAD.

> I don't know if the message is configurable (I guess it's not), and in
> doubt I think it's better to not show it as there are already other visible
> hints like disabled actions (LPR) or password dialog (CUPS) to tell the
> user he's not allowed to do this or that.

Yes, there seems to be a problem. We don't have other modules that make a lot
of sense as root and as non-root. The other modules only have a real
read-only mode.

Perhaps we should have two entries in the control center, one under
Peripherals/Printer, containing the user configurable settings, and one under
System/Printers, used for the system-wide settings that have to be done as
root?

Bye,
Matthias.