List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Print Manager module made root-only
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-10-31 11:39:21

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:

> Michael,
>
> it is not root only. It also implements a read only mode. That means that it
> will work as before for users, but it will show the "Modify" button as well,
> allowing to switch to root mode when needed.
>
> I was not aware that this breaks things. If it does, I am sorry for that
> change. I thought it would be a no-brainer, but obviously I should have sent
> you the patch for review first. Sorry about that.

No problem. Actually, it does not *break* anything. The problem is that it
might confuse the user about what he can and cannot do. The possibility to
become root on the fly (administrator mode) also might be useful when working
with LPR for example. However the message "You must be root to change something"
is not very appropriate. I would prefer something like "You might need to
be root to perform some management operations. Use the 'Administrator' button
to do that".

I don't know if the message is configurable (I guess it's not), and in doubt
I think it's better to not show it as there are already other visible hints
like disabled actions (LPR) or password dialog (CUPS) to tell the user he's
not allowed to do this or that.

But of course, I'm open to any suggestion or comment. Just tell me if I'm
wrong.

Bye.
Michael.