List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: apt protocol handler
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-23 18:28:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Follow up to myself :)

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 20:27, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Based on the sugesstion of Christian Gatzemeier, I will have a look at the
> file format autopackage uses for this, I think its some kind of XML.
> However we could also, if it fits, use something simpler, similar to the
> .desktop files

autopackage uses a simple text file, so I based by draft on the .desktop files
standard.

The attached file is a draft of how a apt source description file for a
program could look like.

It has, more or less, three parts
1) global information: the package(s) the file describes
2) package discriptions: details about the package(s), like dependencies
3) Source

Names, comments and descriptions can be i18n as seen in .desktop files
Mirrors can either be generic or region recommended.
The example shows how to specify KDE package mirrors for Austria (AT).

The installer can then use the user's language and country settings to make a
sensible pre-selection.

Debian base sources don't have to be specified explicitly.

The general idea is, that the program creator can put that file on the
project's website, but the package can reside anywhere.

If, for example, K3B becomes part of the standard KDE packages, just has to be
slightly modified (remove 3rd party repository description, let Sources point
to KDE)

> As always, any feedback appreciated :)

Still applies!

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>
Qt/KDE Developer, Debian User

["k3b.aptinfo" (text/plain)]

[APT Info]
Packages=k3b;
# all packages listed here will be listed for the user
# this is usually only one but could list alternative versions
# e.g. sdl-art;sdl-esd;
# meaning SDL compiled for aRts, SDL compiled for ESD

[APT Package k3b]
Type=Application

Name=K3B

Comment=DVD/CD-burning program for KDE

Comment[de]=DVD/CD-Brennprogramm f?r KDE

Description=K3B is an application for creating and copying CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW media.

Dependencies=kde;cdrtools;

Sources=PlanetMoll;

Homepage=http://k3b.sourceforge.net/

[APT Package kde]
Type=Library

Name=KDE base libraries

Name[de]=KDE Basisbibliotheken

Sources=KDE;

[APT Package cdrtools]
Type=Application

Name=CD Writing tools

Name[de]=Hilfsprogramme f?rs CD-Brennen

Sources=backports;

[APT Source PlanetMoll]
Name=K3B Download

Distribution=woody

Section=main

Transports=http;

URL[http]=http://www.planet-moll.de/debian

[APT Source KDE]
Name=KDE download server

Name[de]=KDE Hauptserver

Distribution=stable

Section=main

Transports=ftp;

URL[ftp]=ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/

#Mirrors=<generic mirrors, not region specific>

Mirrors[AT]=AT1;AT2
#Austrian mirrors.

[APT Source backports]
Name=Collection of backports from unstable for stable

Name[de]=F?r stable erstellte Pakete aus unstable

Distribution=stable

Section=all

Transports=http;

URL[http]=http://www.backports.org/debian

[APT Source KDE Mirror AT1]
Name=KDE mirror Austria

Name[de]=KDE Server ?sterreich

Transports=http;ftp;

URL[http]=http://download.at.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/

URL[ftp]=ftp://download.at.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/

[APT Source KDE Mirror AT2]
Name=KDE mirror Technical University Vienna

Name[de]=KDE Server TU Wien

Transports=ftp;

URL[ftp]=ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/kde/stable/latest/Debian/