List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: apt protocol handler
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-20 19:27:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 20:15, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:38 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 January 2004 08:51, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > > This is the same way that realaudio streams are started. No special
> > > foobar:// protocols.
> >
> > Good point!
> >
> > Is this something a website author can easily set?
> > Does he/she have to change httpd settings?
>
> I don't know exactly but I think that in the apache config somewhere you
> can set up file extension => mimetype mappings. Maybe Konq also looks at
> download file extensions too. You'll have to ask the KHTML people for good
> answers. :)

I think it does when the server sends application/octet-stream
BUt badly configured webservers sometimes send text/plain or text/html for
other stuff and Konqueror uses this and starts the wrong application or loads
the wrong part.

I checked a site for HTML instructions and saw that it is possible to give a
MIME type in the <a> tag as a second attribute.

Getting the correct MIME type across is almost the only disadvantage of your
idea, but it looks like this could be taken care of even if the website
author does not have access to the server's config.

A file instead of a protocol link has several advantages, especially how much
data you can easily transport without much encoding, decoding.

Which data do we need and which data would be nice?
needs:
- packagename (maybe using info file's name as default if not given)
- visible name
- repository URI (maybe use info file's URI as default if not given)
- distribution (or whatever its called, e.g stable, testing)
- module (or whatever it's called, e.g. main, contrib)

nice:
- package description, maybe i18n as well, for visible name too
- list of alternatives (e.g. libqt compiled with and without OpenGL)
- URIs of dependency resouces (not including Debian standard respository)
- maybe mirros of the URI in "needs"

Based on the sugesstion of Christian Gatzemeier, I will have a look at the
file format autopackage uses for this, I think its some kind of XML.
However we could also, if it fits, use something simpler, similar to the
.desktop files

As always, any feedback appreciated :)

Cheers,
Kevin