List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Backup Webmin module.
From:       "C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier () tu-bs ! de>
Date:       2004-01-21 15:14:45

Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2004 14:03 schrieb Mark Bucciarelli:
> A Webmin module for rdiff-backup as part of the Skolinux (sp?) project.
>
> Looks like an interesting project for the sys admin stuff.
>
> What do people think about using Webmin in general?

I think the statements from  CFG devolopers before they started the project
still aply:

----
Re: Webmin

There are some tools that are good at a lot of things. Webmin is one of them.
Webmin has some flaws which detract from its usefulness to some extent.
First, it is only web-based, which although that is probably the best
interface to pick if you're going to focus on a single one, picking only one
can also be bad.

Second, webmin requires a module be written for each new software, and that
this module be added by the user. Config4gnu will handle this automatically
as version-appropriate files will be included with each software package.

Third, webmin doesn't make it terribly easy to allow people to write new
modules. There are some things built in, but not nearly enough. There's
little reason why someone should have to write more than a basic text file to
explain how a piece of software (or part of the system) is configured. We
want our system to be easy and straightforward to use for everyone involved,
without keeping people too far from the details. For example, we may want to
display someplace in most of our interfaces a note explaining what actual
config file the user is editing should they want to edit it by hand.

Our system is specific to the task of configuration, but it will be general
enough so that it won't need to be re-written to add support for new things.
The process will be very simple, and may even be mostly automatic.
----

For automatic backups my current favorite would be http://www.rsnapshot.org
with CFG support.

Christian