List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Daniel Stone <daniel () fooishbar ! org>
Date:       2004-01-19 12:11:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:23:24AM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 23:40, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:10:05PM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
> > > The problem are packages outside our usual apt sources.
> > > Now the idea or question is:
> > > can we come up with a schema for an URI for apt sources that can be put
> > > on webpages instead of the download link.
> > > So that, for example, I could go to sourceforge, search for a program,
> > > click on an "apt link" in the results and have it added to my sources
> > > list.
> >
> > Or, alternatively, everyone could just upload to the one archive, and
> > people could pick what they wanted to take from that archive with
> > Kapture or something.
>
> True, for every package where this is possible that's obviously the best
> distribution method.
>
> But services like apt-get.org aren't there for nothing.
> Obviously there is currently a need for additional package reposititories.
> I just wanted to get people's ideas how using such secondary repositories
> could be made easier.

Yeah, apt-get.org is useful, but it's a usability nightmare for newbies.
What exactly is so bad about having one centralised kde-debian
repository?

We already have one - it's just that I'm the only one who's ever
uploaded anything (libapache2-mod-xslt and dbus), since no-one else has
bothered asking for access.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel@fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,