List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       "C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier () tu-bs ! de>
Date:       2004-01-19 11:45:48

Am Montag, 19. Januar 2004 11:15 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Monday 19 January 2004 07:56, Sascha Morr wrote:
> > hm the problem is that commercial applications will sell not only over
> > the internet. And a companys surely don't want to put their expensive
> > Software to a open server. So what we need is a installation routine
> > whitch works with dep packages.

Side note: Don't focus too much on giving  "gratis" stuff to proprietary
software vendors. Their software doesn't have more value than ours. They just
claim you pay for  a "product" (that they can copy at zero costs) not for the
service and work to program it. Well, everybody dreams to win the lottery
some day. With Free Software the user itself (we) decides how he values it,
and it may be so high that we even contribute. After all we want to have more
publically available and better Free Software. (also point and click of
course) But lets not get distracted and always contribute to the right thing.

> The problem I am addressing are extra repositories that contain packages
> with dependencies.
> People always complain about missing dependencies when they "download a
> RPM" (or deb in our case).
> We already have all the software to install packages resolving and
> downloading all dependencies, but currenlty one has to add the apt source
> manually to sources.list
>
> I imagine something like a one-click install:
> user clicks on apt URL, our protocol handler adds it to sources.list (or a
> second resource that is merged with sources list) and runs apt-get install
> packagename

Have you looked how autopackage.org now does the dependency resolution over
the net? For packages outside of debian it wouldn't hurt if they could be
installed on any distribution. I think your apt-url idea is very good and
could also fit there to find dependencies that are in scattered debian
repositories.

Cheers,
Christian