List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-19 12:45:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 January 2004 13:11, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:23:24AM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > But services like apt-get.org aren't there for nothing.
> > Obviously there is currently a need for additional package
> > reposititories. I just wanted to get people's ideas how using such
> > secondary repositories could be made easier.
>
> Yeah, apt-get.org is useful, but it's a usability nightmare for newbies.

It is a hint that there are 3rd party apt resources, so allowing to add one of
them easily might be a nice idea, isn't it?

> What exactly is so bad about having one centralised kde-debian
> repository?

Nothing. Everyone so far seems to agree that it is favorable.

> We already have one - it's just that I'm the only one who's ever
> uploaded anything (libapache2-mod-xslt and dbus), since no-one else has
> bothered asking for access.

Until today, as you wrote it in reply to my investigation, I didn't know about
that and I am subscribed to kde-debian, kde-debian-private and Debian's
qt-kde list.

If I were an application maintainer, I would still not know what I would have
to do.
You are an experienced Debian developer, you know the procedures, contraints,
etc.
I am grateful when I can, after hours of work, get lintian to not complain
about a testpackage I tried to create.

Anyway, can we agree that there are other apt sources available than the
official (and half-official like download.kde.org) Debian servers?

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S. you can reply to list, I am subcribed and the reply then still contains
the List-Id and stuff :)