List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-19 11:10:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 January 2004 11:47, Marcin Pawlik wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18 at 22:10, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Now the idea or question is: can we come up with a schema for an URI
> > for apt sources that can be put on webpages instead of the download
> > link.  So that, for example, I could go to sourceforge, search for a
> > program, click on an "apt link" in the results and have it added to my
> > sources list.
>
> And have your system destroyed after the next upgrade.

I don't get this.

> Adding additional sources of packages (having installation scripts
> executed with root rights, overwriting existing system files etc.)
> should be possible only for the administrator and should be done only
> after careful source check. Making it happen in easy and invisible for
> the user way is definitely not a good idea.

Of course that would only work for root.
Do you think Kaptive runs as a normal user?

The protocol handler woudl obviously need to invoke a kdesu command for the
installation manager.

Adding a source permanetly could only be one option, I don't have enough
knowledge about apt-get, but maybe it can be given an editional file or an
additonal repository on the commandline.

It doens't have to use apt-get at all, purpose of this thread is to dicuss
possible means of letting a user leverage the advantages of a package system
instead of forcing him/her to the old style download&install, which only
works properly if you make huge packages that contain all dependencies.

I am a Debian user. I like the way I can install software, i.e. that the first
KDE application triggers download and install of kdelibs, but any further KDE
application only has its _additonal_ dependencies.
No longer do I have to download XX MB installers that virutall all contain the
same base libs.

I have a broadband internet connection but installing software on windows
still sucks, because of those non-coordinated packages.

IMHO one of the major advantages of Debian is its fantastic package philosphy
(small packages with dependencies)

Cheers,
Kevin
--