List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Important Areas: Printing, LAN Browsing, Desktop Fonts
From:       Christoffer Sawicki <qerub () home ! se>
Date:       2003-12-31 16:41:58

> printing:
> I had to install CUPS on my debian system, to properly configure my
> printer using the KDE Control Center module. Directly after installation
> of debian and kde there were no printers to select. I don't have much
> experience with the different printing systems, but IMHO Printing should
> work out of the box.

Install the foomatic packages and then add your printer. We could probably
make som kind of meta package that depends on all the needed stuff. Making
kdeprint depend on that stuff would not be a good idea since it's usuable
without it (and cups already suggests it).

> lan browsing:
> lisa and the lan:// protocol handler should be installed by default, but
> as far as I can see, there are some minor issues with these packages: The
> default configuration file is in the wrong place (/etc/kde3/lisarc, while
> the daemon is looking for it in /etc/lisarc) and the PID file is not
> properly generated during daemon startup, so that "/etc/init.d/lisa stop"
> doesn't work. These two errors could easily be fixed. I could supply
> patches for them. However /etc/lisarc has to be configured before you can
> browse your "Network Neighbourhood". There is a frontend in the Control
> Center, but I think it would be nice, if the configuration could be done
> automatically until someone has manually configured lisa. I have a small
> patch that edits lisarc and sets "BroadcastNetwork" and "AllowedAddresses"
> according to the configuration in etc/network/interfaces whenever the
> daemon is started. This way lan browsing just works, once your network is
> properly configured.

Sounds great to me. Some issues are already reported at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=lisa

> fonts:
> Bitstream has released the very nice Vera font family. Should they be used
> as the default fonts?

I personally think that would be a great idea but I heard some complaints
about missing East European characters.

*/ Christoffer Sawicki <qerub@home.se>