List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Important Areas: Printing, LAN Browsing, Desktop Fonts
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-01 20:02:45

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 09:09, Paul Mallach wrote:
> lan browsing:
> lisa and the lan:// protocol handler should be installed by default, but
> as far as I can see, there are some minor issues with these packages: The
> default configuration file is in the wrong place (/etc/kde3/lisarc, while
> the daemon is looking for it in /etc/lisarc) and the PID file is not
> properly generated during daemon startup, so that "/etc/init.d/lisa stop"
> doesn't work. These two errors could easily be fixed. I could supply
> patches for them.

Feel free :-)
I'm waiting for them.

> However /etc/lisarc has to be configured before you can
> browse your "Network Neighbourhood". There is a frontend in the Control
> Center, but I think it would be nice, if the configuration could be done
> automatically until someone has manually configured lisa.

No.
Lisa sends icmp echo packets to all configured IP addresses. If there are more
than one lisas running in one net they cooperate and only one of them does
the pinging. Nethertheless IMO lisa has to be enabled and configured
explicitely by the user, so that he has the chance to know what's going on.

The better approach: set up a lisa-daemon on *one* server in the network, and
let all hosts contact lisa on this server (i.e. not "lan:/" , but
"lan://server/"). I could add functionality to the lan-ioslave so that the
default lisa-server-host can be configured to another (remote) host.

Bye
Alex
--
Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de