List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt versus threading
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-05 18:13:05

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 08:07, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:47:01PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Hmm, how did it work before? The patch should work ok. I'm just wondering
> > where the usual -lsocket -lnsl comes from currently.
>
> It didn't, this is my first try at getting Qt/3.0 to work.  Suffice to
> say, it's been a pretty painful process with both PacBell and FreeBSD
> against me.  I believe that libsocket && libnsl are hardcoded in the form
> of $LIB_SOCKET somewhere.  There's also the chance that on platforms where
> those libs are needed Qt does the proper dependency thing (i.e. linking
> libqt-mt against libsocket), there's also the thought that the proper way
> of using pthreads on -current isn't quite perfect.  -pthread is
> depreciated in favor of -lc_r as the last library, the linker will DTRT
> and not link libc.. who knows how this interacts with some libraries
> depending on libc, some (like Mesa) depending on libc_r.

I'd like to back this up on FreeBSD (-stable in my case, not -current).

Getting KDE HEAD to compile with --enable-mt is impossible, with bizarre
errors (the compiler claiming that kdeconfig.cpp has no main() for example.)

Getting it to compile without --enable-mt took quite some doing, but did
eventually work (thanks to Otto Bruggeman for the help).   We came to the
same conclusion as Alex, that adding -lc_r got it at least compiling.

The result however, was unusable, as klauncher crashes on startup with
"mutex_destroy failure" errors (and then crashes again when you try to save
the backtraces).  Some of the applications start, but that's all, they crash
as soon as you do anything with them.

I've discussed this with the KDE on FreeBSD port maintainer, and with some of
the developers, nobody is very optimistic this can be made to work, with
threading.

--
Lauri Wats