List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RFC: Changes to KControl for KDE 3.0
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-05 18:20:00

Moin!

I have plans to change several stuff in KControl for KDE 3.0 to get a cleaner
structure in both manners usability and code organisation:

1. Naming convertions:

All modules should be called kcm<modulename>, for example the modules to set
up the font module should be called "kcmfonts" instead of simply "fonts". The
current way (mixing up both) is extremely confusing. The directory holding
the config module should always be called kcm<modulename>. Otherwise we might
end up in situations like the "display" directory which holds the "style"
module.

2. Reorganization of  the directory structure:
All modules should be hosted in a subdirectory of the according main
application. However, I see that there are cases where modules span across
multiple applications or are system-wide settings in which case we could
still put them under kcontrol/ (I'd even prefer another subdir like
"generic").

3. Changes for suid root applets

The current behavior in terms of suid root applets is quite different. Either
it shows a "disabled" (greyed-out) preview version or a message to press the
"modify" button.

I'd like to change this to a new approach: All modules should get the preview
by default. Additionally, a notification box "Press modify to get access to
the module" with a "do not show this message again" checkbox should be placed.

Another thing is that all modules that need root access (and therefore usally
affect the whole system" should move to the "system" cathegory. This would
for example involve to split off the LISa configuration from the current LAN
Browsing module and put the LISa module to "system" (I just got the 3rd bug
report about that from people that think that the current approach is broken,
I support that btw).

Comments, flames?

If not, I will happily implement and organize all these things (with some
help from the CVS maintainers and alexxx of course ;)

Cheers,

</daniel>
--
Daniel Molkentin | The K Desktop Environment | http://www.kde.org