List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: C++ file extensions (was Re: qt-copy updated)
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-30 21:26:49

On Thursday 30 August 2001 08:58, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Don, 30 Aug 2001, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > While doing so, what about renaming all .cc files to .cpp too? (Or vice
> > versa if a more people like that...)
>
> By no way ou can convince me that .cpp is nicer than .cc ;-)

I even doubt whether .cpp _is_ nicer than .cc :-)

But standardization on a single file extension is even nicer than the (IMO
nice) .cc extension. And two arguments are in favour of .cpp:

- Qt uses it and standardization within KDE to .cc and in Qt to .cpp is not
really standardized, isn't it? ;-)

- .cpp seems to be a bit more portable to non-Unix platforms when it comes to
out-of-the-box support without tweaking settings

Argument against:

- .cc looks (arguably) cooler.

Still, I personally would like to have extensions in KDE to be the same
everywhere. And while we're on it: it would also be nice if the name of a
file resembles the class inside it (kapp.h, anyone?). These two issues would
make it easier to guess file names without doing a search first, which can't
be a bad thing for productivity.

Just my humble opinion,

Martijn