List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: qt 3
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-27 12:23:25

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 04:01:46PM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:

> On Thursday 23 August 2001 16:51, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> <snip>
> > I don't think we should do that. I'd rather go for disabling
> > QT_NO_COMPAT and QT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE for now. That gives far more
> > source compatibility and will give us a running system much faster
> > (with less work) . (it will enable QList/QDict, etc.)
> <snip>
>
> kdelibs header files should really compile under the most restrictive
> QT_... defines _now_, because you have to let the application developer
> decide what defines he wants to use.
>
> the minimus set is IMO:
>
> QT_NO_COMPAT
> QT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE
> QT_NO_ASCII_CAST
> - -and- (kurl.h recently broke that!)
> QT_NO_CAST_ASCII

Well, yes, I fully agree on that set. But do we need to put effort into this now,
when there are still lots of bugs and kdebase isn't really usable, yet?

I mean, I think it's better to invest the spare time to get a running
system and clean up with no_compat/etc. after that.
(especially when qt_no_compat means lots if #ifdef's for things like
QPtrList<>QList to avoid qt2 compatibility...)

I for one like the approach of doing things incrementally.

But then again friday is not too far away ;-)

Simon