List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker extension
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-08-22 14:43:16

Joseph Wenninger wrote:

> Hi
>

> > Now come the questions:
> > - do you find it useful? (I do as it gives kicker greater flexibility, and
> >   you can also put some code into libraires, reducing kicker's size)
> > - what should I do with it? Now, everything is in kicker directory, but I
> >   guess the base class should be moved to kdeui, which would implies some
> >   changes in the code.
> >

> I can't decide anything, but it sounds like something I would have needed
> some time ago, but hadn't the time to implement it.
>
> Why does it need to be in kdeui ? It is only usefull for kicker, isn't it ? I
> think kdeui shouldn't get bigger and bigger, because of classes, which are
> only used in one or two applications. Why not put it into an own lib ?

I spoke too fast ;-) Just after writing it, I realized it is not necessary.
Actually I redesigned the code:
- removed PanelXMenu, and used PanelMenu as base class, additional infos (title
  and icon) are taken from the associated desktop file.
The only header to be installed now is "base_mnu.h" and your plugin needs to be
linked against kicker.la: this is not a big deal as only kicker will load the
plugins, so it's already in memory.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM