List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings vs. View
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-01 19:40:47

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 21:07, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Lets just consider why we choose to do it the way it is now;
>
> - creating one view menu with all stuff from view and all GUI-stuff from
>   settings will result in quite a big menu. Big menus will be harder to
> search. Sorting it in submenus will not quite solve the problem since this
> will only make searching harder (the user will actually have to read the
> entries)
>
> - the options in view are the ones the user will most likely use more often
>   then the ones in settings (certainly when that RMB-select toolbars option
>   is implemented)
>
> - when MUI or a multiple view (on one document) interface are taken in
>   consideration the effect of the settings in the view verses the settings
>   menu will be quite different. View options are per document.
>   This is the setup, if you see an application that differs from the stuff
> I wrote above, that we should look at that app!. (no use to create a
> standard if not everyone complies ;)
>
> - also applications that are nested in one-another should make that
> distincion since clicking on a .doc file in konqueror shows the content of
> the doc, not the ui around it. (yes konqueror forgets showing the view
> menu, I consider this a bug in konqueror)

What's wrong with my proposal I made yesterday? I got no replies at all, not
even flames or other negatively toned messages.

I mean, the idea of putting everything related to a single view in a
multi-view app in the view menu, everything related to a single window in the
window menu, and everything related to anything else _AND_ everything related
to _new_ views and windows in the settings menu? View and Window contain what
you'd expect there, they are not ditched, and, most important, they are not
persistent unless you say so.
The persistent options on their hand are not ditched either, are not hidden
in view or windows menus where nobody would look for them, but are in the
settings menu.
As a compromise if people play with window or view settings and want to keep
them, there is the "save as default" option that is IMO _much_ less intrusive
as the current behaviour of making the change persistent right away.

Since it's my own idea I (of course :-) don't see the problems with this, but
without feedback I will never see them either ;-)

Martijn