List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings vs. View (thread end)
From:       Lenny <kudling () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-01 19:18:01

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 17:52, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > But that's what we - Martijn and me - critisize: in some areas it's the
> > other way around.
>
> Is it? Because in the case that you describe it was a deliberate decision
> to do it the way we do it.

I don't say that mapping of implementation to the gui happens by incident, of
course they are the result of decisions. Implementation motivated decisions.
As an example: when i asked why there is kdesktop's "config desktop" and
"config background" instead of one "config desktop", the answer was: "it's
easier to implement it this way" and not: "the user clearly thinks, the
background and the desktop are completely different things".
We have "Styles" and "Themes" even though users don't know the difference,
but because it reflects the implementation.

> > You say "kde's design is object oriented". The code, yes, but the ui/the
> > concepts?
>
> object orientation is an implementation technique, not a goal on its own.

Ah, so when people talk with glowing eyes about "object-orientation" in
conjunction with OS/2's WPS (correct name?) they mean the code? Wow, i
finally understand the hype. Object oriented code, that's so damn cooool.

You don't need to reply to this mail, i'm pretty convinced now that we'll
keep the status quo as Martijn predicted. Didn't guess it could be so
difficult to step back and have a look at the whole picture.

Lenny, stopping this private noise.