List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2 RELEASE
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-07-30 19:20:35

   Hi!

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:52:37AM +0200, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. Juli 2001 01:39 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
>
> > When there are no showstoppers popping up any more I will provide
> > the packagers with source tarballs.
>
> Sounds reasonable. Nevertheless, I'm still for a delay. Mainly for
> 3 reasons:
>
> [...]
>
> So why rush this out now? In the i18n area I see still lots of ugly
> things creeping up on a daily basis -- maybe no showstoppers yet (if
> you are not a Korean user), but they are adding up. And from what I see
> in the developer lists I get a similar impression.

Well, for one reason: the show must go on. As a developer, I can't sit there
forever and wait until finally HEAD is unfrozen again. You see, we have a
quite agressive timeframe for KDE3.0 (which should be alive somewhere later
this year), which is good, because all arguments that have been brought up
about why KDE3.0 should be out close to Qt3 sound convincing.

Still, if I want to get anything done somewhere between the freeze time for
KDE2.2 and the freeze time for KDE3.0, I need to have time to solidly build
and test the features that I intend to see in KDE3.0. There is a lot planned
in the multimedia section.

Of course I can go and work in a branch, and others can do, too, but thats
not as nice as working in HEAD. I have vacations from university now, too,
which means that I actually can get something done in the next weeks. Now if
we freeze all the time during this, and if I take the freeze dead serious
(as in: fix bugs rather than add new features), I won't have time to accomplish
the goals I have for the next major release later.

If the main problem is indeed that everybody is spending their time having
vacations, which leads to

 - reduced PR effect
 - incomplete translations

then the best solution I can see is to branch now, so that developers can
go on, and leave KDE2.2 unreleased in a branch as long as it takes to get
the above fixed. But as there is already a planned KDE2.2.1, I think the
above issues can also be solved between 2.2 and 2.2.1 (.1 releases are more
mature than .0 releases anyway).

   Cu... Stefan (who always falls in this why-can't-I-do-what-I-want-to-do-
                 depression-state-during-KDE-freezes)