List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFontCombo speed
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-07-25 9:12:01

Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 09:57:47AM +0200, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Die, 24 Jul 2001, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> >
> > > sluggish even with a very small number of fonts. I reduced my font
> > > count from 550 to 20 and it's still slow.

I have around 200 fonts installed here and it works fine (even great!).

> > Yes. the only solution I see is not doing this poorly performing
> > immediate display of all fonts.
> >
> > I'd suggest showing all of them in the usual standard font and provide popup
> > (tooltip?) with the Qpixamp pre-rendered font if the user stays for a moment
> > over an entry.

A tooltip is no option. The beauty of the current solution is that you
can easily browse through the fonts and see how everyone does look like.
It's simply not feasible to assume that someone will click on 200 fonts
in a row (or even worse: wait 200 times for the tooltip) to see how a
font does look like).
For anyone who cares at least a bit about the way the fonts look like
the current way it is being done is an absolute must-have feature. In
fact the few milliseconds of slugginess which one might feel while
browsing is _nothing_ compared to the annoying half an hour which it
might take to go "manually" through all fonts to see  what they do look
like.

> Or replacing a font after it has been rendered?
> I.e. show fontname in normal font and replace that after it has been rendered.

This might be a better solution.

Greetings,
Tackat