List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFontCombo speed
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-25 8:44:53

Hi,

there is also another problem with this kind of font combobox. I have some
thai fonts here, that do _not_ have latin1 characters. The font combobox just
displays nothing there.

Showing the look of the fonts in the combo is a great idea, but it's
unuseable for some cases (and very slow for xlfd based fonts). If people use
unicode based fonts it would mean an up to 20 seconds xserver freezing for
some fonts. For slow network connections every unicode based font amounts to
720k of data transferred over the wire.

Regards,
Lars