List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: The Road Ahead
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-25 7:16:14

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:07:01PM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> To wrap up the Qt3 discussion and to bring everyones expectations a bit in
> line, here is a proposed time-table for the rest of this year:
>
> Aug 2001: Release of KDE 2.2
> Sep 2001: Release of KDE 2.2.1
> Okt 2001: Development release, KDE 2.89 aka Qrash3.
                                              ^^^^^^
                                              LOL :)
> Nov 2001: KDE 3.0beta1
> Dec 2001: KDE 3.0beta2
> Jan 2002: KDE 3.0 final
>
> I suggest to switch KDE CVS to Qt3 after the release of 2.2.1.

I like this idea/plan very much.

Does this schedule mean that the planned-features document for 2.3
(http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.3-features.html) is
postponed for KDE 3.1?

In other words: Do we want the changes in KDE 3.0 to be solely porting
changes, bugfixes and minor feature additions, or do we want KDE 3.0
to also include new major features (which could possibly delay the 3.0
release, like we experienced with 2.2) ?

I personally am in favour of the former (might sound silly, but I'm afraid
of major feature updates making a just ported KDE possibly more unstable
than it might already be after the port) .

On the other hand it requires a lot of discipline, and we don't want to draw
off developers from the CVS just because we perform a feature freeze for a
few months.

(mostly thinking about libs/base here)

Bye,
 Simon