List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFontCombo speed
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-25 7:57:47

On Die, 24 Jul 2001, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> sluggish even with a very small number of fonts. I reduced my font
> count from 550 to 20 and it's still slow.

Yes. the only solution I see is not doing this poorly performing
immediate display of all fonts.

I'd suggest showing all of them in the usual standard font and provide popup
(tooltip?) with the Qpixamp pre-rendered font if the user stays for a moment
over an entry.

Don't ask me if this is easy to implement though. other solution is to only
show the prerendered font entry for the selected item (i.e. after an entry
has been selected).

Don't think about creating a on-disk storage, this can only be slower than
the current method.

Dirk