List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: The Road Ahead
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-23 22:18:14

On Monday 23 July 2001 02:57 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2001 23:07, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > I suggest to switch KDE CVS to Qt3 after the release of 2.2.1.
>
> Does that mean that in the mean time CVS is open for Qt 2.x compatible
> commits or that HEAD == KDE_2_2_BRANCH ? If HEAD is closed for non-bugfix
> commits I'd say we should move to Qt 3 directly after 2.2.0, because then
> it doesn't make sense to have no HEAD branch for feature commits.

There will be a KDE_2_2_BRANCH because we might need to release a 2.2.2 at
any point in time.

I don't think we should move to Qt3 directly in order to have some time to
find the biggest problems and fix those before we move everything over and
break everything. We can freeze specific parts of KDE and create a branch for
those parts in order to make it work with Qt3. And once everything works, we
should be able to switch rather smoothly.

I don't want to switch before KDE 2.2.1 because it is important that bugfixes
find their way into KDE 2.2.1 and I don't think that that will happen if HEAD
is using Qt3 already.

Cheers,
Waldo
--